Knowledge Base

What can I do about a bad check?

Category: Detective Services

The majority of checks returned due to non-sufficient funds or account closed status will be dealt with by the District Attorney’s Office bad check restitution program, referred to as the NSF (non-sufficient funds) program, in lieu of filing a report with the Thornton Police Department. The NSF program will accept returned non-sufficient funds or account closed checks up to $2,500 (or a series of not more than five checks issued by the same person in less than 60 days, totaling less than $2500). You can pick up the information packet about the program at the Thornton Police Department, or you can call 1-800-574-6719 for an information packet to be sent to you. Complete all of the requested information and send the packet to the NSF program. If the circumstances in which the check was accepted do not meet the requirements outlined in the paperwork, you omit required information, or the check is $2500 or more, your check will not be accepted by the NSF program.

If the returned check (or the sum of no more than five checks issued in no more that a 60 day period) is $2500 or more you may then file a police report with the Thornton Police Department.  The following criteria must be met in order for your case to be eligible for further criminal investigation...

  • The check or checks have been processed and returned by the bank
  • A registered or certified letter must be sent to the account holder informing them that the check had been returned by the bank and why (prior to filing a police report)
  • The check must have been signed in the presence of the recipient and the recipient of the check can be identified and contacted
  • The issuer’s valid Colorado driver’s license or identification card number is recorded on the top of the check by the recipient
  • The check was accepted within the jurisdiction of the Thornton Police Department
  • You file the police report no later than 60 days after the issuance of the check.
  • No two-party checks, out-of-state checks, post dated checks, rent checks or any check taken as payment toward credit or an installment loan will be accepted for investigation (these circumstances make criminal investigation difficult or will render the situation civil in nature).
  • If your check meets the above criteria, you may file a report by contacting the desk officer at the Thornton Police Department, or by contacting our dispatch center and have an officer respond to your location. Police reports must be made no later than 60 days following issuance of the check.

If you have any questions regarding this procedure, please contact the Detective Division at 720-977-5030.  

Updated 2/28/2018 3:48 PM
Was this page helpful? Yes No
Thanks for your feedback!