Knowledge Base

How can I get a VIN inspection for my vehicle?

Category: Patrol Services

In some cases, a certified VIN inspection is required.  A certified VIN inspection is an inspection that is conducted by a Peace Officers Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) certified inspector and completed on forms provided by the Department of Revenue.  The certified inspector checks both the public VIN (which may be located on the dashboard, or another highly visible area), and discreet VINs, the locations of which are only provided to law enforcement by the vehicle’s manufacturer.  The inspector checks the public and discreet VINs against state and national databases of wanted and stolen vehicles.  The following vehicles require a certified VIN inspection:

  • Bonded title vehicles;
  • Rebuilt vehicles;
  • Reconstructed vehicles;
  • and Vehicles assembled from a kit (including trailers).

For additional information, please visit the Colorado State Patrol website.

Updated 4/2/2018 12:21 PM
Was this page helpful? Yes No
Thanks for your feedback!