Knowledge Base

What can I do about dogs or other animals that are loud or barking?

According to city ordinance, It shall be unlawful for any person or owner to keep or maintain any animal that disturbs or tends to disturb the repose of the community by unreasonable, excessive, continuous, untimely, or habitual barking, yelping, meowing, squawking, squealing, or other noise.  Any animal owner who fails to comply with this ordinance and is found guilty can be fined a sum not less than $100.

 To report a violation of this ordinance call Thornton Communications Center non-emergency number, 720-977-5150, or if an emergency exists call 9 1 1. For questions call Thornton Police Department at 720-977-5250.

Barking dogs bring almost daily complaints to Thornton Animal Control and Police Department. All barking dog complaints will be investigated by an Animal Control Officer or a Police Officer, but you will be required to provide your name and a contact number before an officer will respond.   

City Code Nuisance Animals

Updated 2/28/2018 1:16 PM
Was this page helpful? Yes No
Thanks for your feedback!