Can I fly a drone in Thornton?
Thornton allows the flying of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), also known as drones, within the city limits, but there are several operational requirements:
- Drones may not be flown in a reckless manner.
- Drones cannot be used to observe another person or to capture/transmit an image, sound, or physical impression or digital record of another person that may be deemed as an intrusion on that person’s privacy.
- Drones cannot be used to harass or annoy another person or group of people by intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly buzzing or hovering within fifteen feet of a nonconsenting person or persons.
- Drones may not pose a threat to other aircraft in flight or to any persons or property on the ground.The use of a UAS may not pose a threat to any critical infrastructure within the City of Thornton.
- Drones cannot be launched or landed within 25 feet of any person, pedestrian, bicyclist, motorist, livestock, companion animal, or wildlife not directly involved in the UAS operation.
NOTE: A UAS (drone) cannot be operated in a manner that impedes or in any way interferes with a police officer or firefighter performing their authorized duties and responsibilities or with any type of governmental emergency operation.
For further information, submit a My Thornton request or contact the dispatch center at 720-977-5150 to have a police officer contact you.
To report a drone being operated unlawfully, contact the dispatch center at 720-977-5150 or call 911 for emergencies.
Requests submitted via My Thornton are not monitored 24/7.